TV Shipping to India
The ‘idiot box’ is playing an important role in our day-to-day life. It really is hard to imagine where we’d be without the Television, since most of us currently watch, or have watched, TV for some part of our life. A lot of the technological advancements in this day and age can be credited to the television. The Streaming Age, in which we find ourselves front and center of today can also be traced back to the growth of the television over the last few generations. The television is one of the best ways to get the most recent news and information, as well as entertainment. It is a great window to our society which helps connect with the rest of the world right from the very couch we sit at to watch it – and in many cases, it can also act as a mirror.
When you have such a wonderful instrument placed right into the heart of your home, you would want to take it with you wherever you’d have to go. Shipping your items from one place to another is always important, especially if you need to relocate in the near future. If you want to go to India from the USA, then you have to find a company that offers to ship to India at a really good price. Televisions are usually very large, especially when compared to the rest of your electronics and they’re also extremely fragile. No matter how much you try, you just can’t send them to another country on your own. You need to rely on a dedicated service that will ship to India all your items including the so-called ‘idiot box’.
This is the reason why you may want to use Universal Relocations. We put a lot of emphasis into making sure that you can ship the items you want whenever you want to do that. The experience is always incredible and the results that you can receive from this are definitely intriguing, to say the least. That being said, there are options to keep in mind, and we offer all of that to all of our customers.
You get to choose when the item is shipped when you want it to arrive and so on. However, we always make sure that your Television shipping to India goes smoothly and you never have to worry about any potential problems. There are bound to be some challenges here and there, as with any endeavor, but the outcome will be extremely impressive each time should you rely on our team to handle this tedious task.
Universal Relocations offers you cheap rate shipping boxes, and we also allow you to ship anything from furniture to TV and so on. We are always here to help you and you can rely on our team to bring in efficiency and value in a single package. Since we offer cheap rates, everyone can access this service. You can choose to have your TV shipped to India really fast, especially if you want to move to India. There are always options to consider, and you can rest assured that our team will handle your relocation in a seamless manner.
There is a lot of information to take in, understand, and most importantly, know when one is planning on relocating to India. The general relocation process has been detailed out in our previous blog post which can be found here.
As with importing any object to India, you will also need to know about Indian Customs Regulations on TV Imports. In August 2013, the Revenue Department of India disallowed imports of flat panel television as part of free baggage allowance and levied a whopping 36.05% customs duty of assessed value. Irrespective of the size and brand, this tax is applied to all flat-screen TV imports from foreign countries. This special duty is not covered under the Duty-Free Allowance of INR 50,000.
Things to know of this change:
• The 36.05% is not solely dependent on the product value but also on the assessed value.
• Since the assessed value is not dependent on the original cost, it’s imperative to carry your bill/invoice which will help the customs officer.
• The assessed value of the product is based on the bill you produce and the customs officer’s judgment.
• You will have to declare the purchase in the new Customs Declaration Form and pay the duty before leaving.
• Generally, customs officials will have a standard database of TBs (which may / may not depend on the Indian market price). Some officials stick to these monetary values but some may offer relaxation in giving the assessed value.
• You can pay the duty in Indian as well as popular foreign currencies, as most of them are accepted in India.
• The assessed prices of TVs differ based on the model and the brand.
• Break down of 36.05%
Customs Duty – 35%
+ Education cess of 3%
Effective Total = 36.05%
• Always get the receipt after paying your duties from the customs officials.
• The government has removed import duty only on the manufacturing parts of open-cell LEDs which are used in the production of Televisions.
1. I heard that TVs under 32-inches don’t have duty. Is this not true?
No, that’s an incorrect rumor that’s been doing the rounds. Customs Duty is applicable on flat-panel televisions of ALL SIZES.
2. So how much do I have to pay as a duty?
You have to pay 36.05% on the assessed value.
3. But I read that the Central Government has reduced import duty on TVs?
The reduction imposed in the 2015-16 budget is only applicable for manufacturers who import such parts for assembling in India. All flat-panel TVs are subject to 36.05% duty, irrespective of their screen size.
4. What is the 36.05% calculated on? Cost Price or Market Price in India?
The guideline for Customs Officers say that the duty is 36.05% on “assessed value”. The value will be assessed on arrival, based on parameters such as make, model, condition of the TV – new or old, etc.
5. Do I have to carry the original bill/invoice?
The assessed value is not solely dependent on the cost price of the product. Producing a purchase/bill will help the Customs Officer in the assessment. However, it is not mandatory for the Officer to charge you based on the bill. He can use the Customs database and his personal judgment in assessing the value.
At Universal Relocations, we use large shipping containers to India and we make sure that each item gets transported properly and in a meaningful way. There are always problems and potential challenges that come your way, and that’s where Universal comes in. Just let us know what we can do for you in this regard, and we would be glad to help. After all, the ‘idiot box’ may no longer be one as it is almost as much a part of every home as the furniture!