Moving With Children From The US To Europe & India Doesn’t Have To Be Stressful
Children love a good adventure and will most likely embrace the moving process if they are involved in all aspects along the way. By involving your kids directly in the move, moving with children can be fun, not fury.
At Universal Relocations, we’ve come up with some easy ways to incorporate your kids into the moving process. Not only will this help you, but it will help the kids better adjust to relocating. Asking for their help, creating fun projects and small packing tasks can all help incorporate your kids in the move.
Here are some tips for moving with children and getting your kids excited about your move.
- Tell your children about the move as soon as possible so they don’t overhear the news by accident.
- Talk with them and share the details you think they’ll understand – ask then how they feel and listen to their reactions.
- Children of different ages respond differently to a move. Younger children tend to miss familiar people like a favorite teacher, as well as safe and secure environments like church, school or even their bedrooms. Older children, especially teenagers, tend to miss their friends and others in the community with whom they have relationships.
- Involve your children in all aspects of your relocation, if possible, including house hunting, planning the move and tasks that are age appropriate.
- Have children pack a special box with their most treasured possessions – they can even decorate the outside of the box so they can quickly identify it in your new home.
- Ask for their input on decorating or arranging things in their new rooms.
- Encourage your children to take the time to say good-bye to friends and maintain ties by exchanging contact information.
- Make plans to continue your child’s current activities (such as Scouts, sports, dance classes, etc.) in your new community – continuity will make adjusting to a new location much easier.